Lexington Home Page
hayward-avenue_0023 (formerly 4 Hayward)
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
hayward-avenue_0023 (formerly 4 Hayward)
10/20/2020 10:55:07 AM
9/18/2018 2:08:35 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 4 HAYWARD AVENUE <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 2229 <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> Use as much space as necessary to complete the following entries, allowing text to flow onto additional continuation sheets. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 4 Hayward Avenue is set at the front of a small, narrow lot with minimal front and side setbacks. The land slopes down steeply <br /> away from the street behind the flat front yard. A broad paved driveway occupies most of the left side setback, with a paved <br /> stone walk leading from it to the front entrance. The building consists of a 1 '/2 story main block with front, side, and rear <br /> appendages. <br /> The small, rectangular main block rises from a fieldstone foundation with deeply recessed joints to a front gable roof with no <br /> gable returns and no chimney. Walls are clad with wood shingles and have a narrow flat fascia board with a small bed molding. <br /> Windows typically have 1/1 double-hung replacement sash with very narrow band molding. The front fagade of the main block <br /> has a full-length enclosed porch with a door on its short left side, four contiguous windows along the front, and a narrow <br /> horizontal window on the right side. Inside, on the main block, are an offset door and single window. Two windows are <br /> symmetrically placed in the half story. <br /> The right side elevation of the main block has two widely spaced windows on the first floor. A gabled addition extending from <br /> this elevation is one story high, with a partially exposed basement level containing two sets of paired windows, a triplet of <br /> casement windows high on the first floor, and an exterior chimney towards the back. The left side elevation has a square-ish <br /> awning window(perhaps replacing Queen Anne sash)towards the front of the main block and two appendages. Along the side <br /> of the main block is a one-story appendage with a hip roof, a small 1/1 window on its exposed front and left sides, and a chimney <br /> projecting from the front slope of the roof. Extending behind the hip-roofed appendage is a more recent, one-story addition with <br /> a partially exposed basement level containing two sets of paired windows and a triplet of casement windows high on the first <br /> floor. A modern wood deck with turned balusters is visible across the back of the rear addition. <br /> 4 Hayward Avenue is an extremely simple, vernacular building, transfigured by small but multiple additions. It is notable as an <br /> early house in an outlying area of Lexington, on a streetscape that was generally developed much later. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> 4 Hayward Avenue represents Lexington's evolution from an agricultural economy to a suburban community in the early 20th <br /> century. The street appears in the town directories between 1922 and 1936. Earlier maps (1898 and 1906)show a large tract of <br /> undeveloped land between Wood Street and Massachusetts Avenue, with a large house and barn farther out on Wood Street <br /> belonging to Ernest K. Ballard, a farmer. By 1922, only one household was identified on Hayward Avenue, occupied by Edwin B. <br /> Price, an electrician, and his wife Georgianna. In 1935, their son Chester Price, a water inspector in Somerville, maintained a <br /> summer residence on Hayward Avenue with his wife Gertrude. (Edwin and Georgianna may also have used the property as a <br /> summer residence, as records show them living in Somerville in 1920, 1925, and 1930.) <br /> The first known residents specifically identified at 4 Hayward Avenue, in 1945, were Henry E. Cronier, who was employed as a <br /> lineman, and his wife Laura F. Number 4 was the only house identified on this street in the town directory that year; ten years <br /> later, there were a total of three. Dudley A. Davies, who worked at Arlington Gas, lived here with his wife Edith M. in 1955. The <br /> house was subsequently occupied by Jack E. Stover, identified as an analyst, and his wife Nancy Jo in 1965. <br /> Continuation sheet I <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.