Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 2:07:21 PM
9/18/2018 2:07:21 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
BUILDING FORM <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION ❑see continuation sheet <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 83 Hancock St. (MHC#739) is one of a number of Federal houses in Lexington and a well-preserved example of its type. The <br /> house is rectangular,two stories, five-by-one bays, and side-gabled with two large brick and one concrete rear chimneys. The <br /> original house is set on a granite foundation, clad with wood clapboards, and roofed with slates. Rear additions include a Beverly <br /> jog on a fieldstone foundation at the southeast corner, a one-story shed-roofed extension on a concrete foundation behind it, and a <br /> long shed-roofed dormer that extends from the ridge line. The center entrance is flanked by square pilasters and under a hood <br /> supported by squared pilastered posts;windows are 6/9 double hung sash. Federal details include cornerboards, pedimented <br /> gables, and second-story windows framed into the cornice.. The large front-gabled barn(MHC#740) is clad with wood shingles <br /> and has triangular knee braces under the eaves;the large sliding barn door has been removed and replaced with two garage doors. <br /> A small tool shed has a hip roof, exposed rafter ends, and is clad with wood drop siding. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE ❑ see continuation sheet <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state) history. Include uses of the building, and the <br /> role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> Although the plaque on this house says "circa 1730,"it was actually built in 1815 by William Chandler(1788-1870) a few years <br /> after his father Nathan (1762-1837)had built the house at 87 Hancock St. (MHC#741). The two houses display some <br /> similarities,particularly the pedimented gables. Although Lexington assessors' records indicate that William built this house in <br /> 1815,they also show that he did not own the land on which the house stands until 1835 when he and his brother Nathan Jr. <br /> acquired equal shares of their father's land. After William's death this house was owned in the late 19th century by his son John <br /> Quincy Adams Chandler(b. 1824)and in the 20th century by a Leslie Bull,who sold apples raised in the orchards once located <br /> behind the house. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES ❑see continuation sheet <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington. Revised and continued to 1912 by the Lexington Historical Society. <br /> Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1913. 2: 103. <br /> Lexington Valuation Lists. 1810-1841. <br /> S. Lawrence Whipple. Personal communication 1998. <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked,you must attach a completed National <br /> Register Criteria Statement form. <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.