Laserfiche WebLink
BUILDING FORM (66 Hancock Street) <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of the building in terms of other buildings within the <br /> community. <br /> Dating to the late 19th century, 66 Hancock Street is a 2 1/2-story, clapboarded dwelling oriented with its two bay wide <br /> gablefront set close to the street. The house rests on a fieldstone foundation and is capped by an asphalt roof with projecting <br /> eaves ending in returns. The sidehall entrance contains a multi-glass door framed by sidelights. The turn-of-the-century <br /> entrance porch is supported by a pair of Roman Doric columns echoed by pilasters adjacent to the door. Next to the entrance <br /> is a three-sided bay window set above a stone foundation with rusticated horizontal boards below the 2/2 windows. The <br /> unevenly spaced two 2/2 windows upstairs are capped by lipped lintels and there is a smaller 2/2 window lighting the attic. <br /> The south side elevation is two bays deep, also with 2/2 windows. Those on the upper story extend to the frieze and are <br /> without lintels. At the rear of the main house block there is a hip-roofed oriel window supported by brackets and containing a <br /> pair of 2/2 windows. Extending behind the main house is an offset,two-story, gable-roofed wing fronted by a single-story <br /> enclosed porch with modern fenestration including a gabled entrance. Extending behind the wing is a two-story addition, <br /> further offset. <br /> A c.1890 detached barn/garage is located to the southwest. The clapboarded 1 1/2-story building is set with its broad side <br /> and double-wide modern garage door facing the street. There are 2/2 windows on the side elevations. The projecting eaves <br /> display exposed rafters. <br /> C <br /> HIS TORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Describe the history of the building. Explain its associations with local (or state) history. Include uses of the building and <br /> the role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The early history of this house is not known. It was apparently constructed after 1875 as it is not depicted on that map. The <br /> earliest known(and possibly the original) owner of the house was Patrick F. Dacey who lived here from about 1886 to 1897. <br /> According to the town history Dacey was a mason and contractor who came to Lexington in 1873. In 1897 Dacey bought a <br /> house on Muzzey Street and apparently sold the Hancock Street house to George Whiting, who owned multiple properties in <br /> town. The 1906 Atlas shows Whiting as the owner of the house. By 1913 the property was owned by Frank Berquist, a <br /> provisions dealer in Charlestown,who lived here until about 1922. Patrick Fitzgerald occupied the house in the late 1920s <br /> and 1930s. Ralph and Frances Scribner acquired the house about 1940 and sold the property to Richard and Priscilla McKee <br /> in 1947. Jonathan and Magdalena Himmel purchased the house in 1977. <br /> BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES <br /> Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Lexington. Revised and continued to 1912 by the Lexington Historical Society. <br /> Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1913. <br /> Lexington Assessors Records. <br /> Lexington Directories, various dates. <br /> Lexington Minute-man, 12/3/1897. <br /> Lexington Valuation Lists, various dates. <br /> 1875 map. <br /> 196 Atlas. <br /> Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked, you must attached a completed <br /> National Register Criteria Statement form. <br />