Lexington Home Page
WEB PUBLISHED-PUBLIC DOCUMENTS
BUILDINGS, LAND, UTILITIES & TRANS REPORTS
Property Survey Forms
9/18/2018 1:55:12 PM
9/18/2018 1:55:11 PM
Property - StreetNumber
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 19 CEDAR STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 2199 <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> Use as much space as necessary to complete the following entries, allowing text to flow onto additional continuation sheets. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 19 Cedar Street is positioned near the front corner of a moderately sized lot. Maintained chiefly in lawn, the land slopes up <br /> gently from the street, with foundation plantings and scattered trees at the back half of the property. A flagstone path leads from <br /> the street to the house's front steps. A paved driveway, framed by rounded poured concrete retaining walls, leads from the <br /> street to the garage. The house consists of a rectangular, 1 '/2 story main block. <br /> The house rises above a fieldstone foundation with deeply recessed joints to a side gable roof with gable returns. An interior <br /> chimney is located on the back slope of the roof, near the center and the ridgeline. Walls are sheathed with wood shingles. <br /> Windows have a variety of 6/1, 4/1, and 1/1 double-hung replacement sash their flat casings have a very narrow band molding. <br /> The fagade consists of a tri-partite unit of windows on the right end and, on the left, an extension of the main roof over an <br /> enclosed sun porch that projects beyond the main block. The main door opens from the side of the sun porch and is accessed <br /> by a wood stairway and landing. A hip-roofed dormer with a single window is centered on the front roof slope. <br /> The right side elevation has two windows and a side entrance with a small gabled portico on the first floor. Paired windows are <br /> centered above in the half story. The left side elevation contains modern glazing at the enclosed sun porch towards the front <br /> and two single windows towards the back on the first floor. Paired windows are centered above in the half story. The rear <br /> elevation is not visible from the public way, with the exception of a corner of a modern wood deck. <br /> At the right front corner of the lot, a one-bay garage rises from a concrete block foundation to a front gable roof with no gable <br /> returns. Wood shingles and flat wood trim clad the walls. One window is centered on the long right side elevation. <br /> Well maintained and generally well preserved, 19 Cedar Street is a good example of modest, early 20th century suburban <br /> housing in an outlying area of Lexington. The house is notable for its characteristic Bungalow massing, especially the <br /> integration of the sun porch within the main roof, its intact form and fenestration, and its original or early garage. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> Cedar Street is an old country road, appearing on the town maps by 1853 (and perhaps as early as 1830), when it extended <br /> from what is known today as Massachusetts Avenue (a 17th century highway)to the Tophet Swamp in northwestern Lexington. <br /> The town almshouse and poor farm were established on a twenty-acre site at the corner of Hill and Cedar Streets in 1845, <br /> where they remained until 1930. Aside from a house at the corner of Mass. Ave. and Cedar Street, until 1875 there was only <br /> one house on Cedar before its intersection with Hill Street. The late 19th century saw a flurry of construction on this block, <br /> however. By 1898, at least six houses were built on the west side and one on the east side of the road between Mass. Ave. and <br /> Columbus Street. Also by 1898, the Boston Female Asylum (an orphanage)occupied a cluster of buildings east of Cedar Street, <br /> off Mass. Ave., likely deterring nearby residential development. <br /> Early street numbers along Cedar Street are difficult to correlate to present buildings, as they appear to have changed during the <br /> 1930s. Six houses were identified on this side of the block in 1922, and likely included the present#19. The earliest known <br /> resident of this house is thought to be Mrs. Mina S. Crosby, no occupation known. By 1935, the house was occupied by Bertram <br /> H. Dalrymple, a teamster, and Earl W. Folsom, a chauffeur, and his wife Hazel. By 1945, residents included George V. Kropp, a <br /> Continuation sheet 2 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.