Laserfiche WebLink
INVENTORY FORM B CONTINUATION SHEET LEXINGTON 81-83 Bow STREET <br /> MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION Area(s) Form No. <br /> 220 MORRISSEY BOULEVARD,BOSTON,MASSACHUSETTS 02125 <br /> 2194 <br /> ❑ Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. <br /> If checked,you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form. <br /> Use as much space as necessary to complete the following entries, allowing text to flow onto additional continuation sheets. <br /> ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION: <br /> Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community. <br /> 81-83 Bow Street is two-family house occupying a wide, flat lot. The property has a small side yard of lawn on one side and <br /> pavement on the other, with few foundation plantings. The building has no front setback. A paved sidewalk leads to a broad <br /> front stairway with brick risers, bluestone treads, and iron railings. Another paved walkway leads to a side doorway. The building <br /> consists of a nearly square main block, a large rear addition, and a detached garage. The left side yard is paved between the <br /> street and the garage; the outer end is maintained in lawn. <br /> The two by two bay main block rises 2 '/2 stories in height from a concrete foundation to a high hip roof with a center chimney. <br /> The walls are clad and trimmed with vinyl. Windows typically have 1/1 double hung sash. The front fagade (west elevation) <br /> contains a two-story angled bay window on the left bay, which extends to a one-story projection with a shed roof and offset <br /> doorway. The bay window has one window in each exposed face; the entry projection has two narrow windows flanking the <br /> doorway and two windows above on the second story. Two tall, conjoined dormers with gable roofs and flat thin fascia boards <br /> are centered in the front slope of the main roof, each containing one window. <br /> The south (right side) elevation of the main block contains irregular, asymmetrical fenestration of varying sizes and head heights. <br /> A large gabled dormer on this elevation has no returns and one window. The north (left side) elevation of the main block <br /> contains two asymmetrical window bays and a gabled dormer with no returns, a narrow flat fascia and one window. A one-room <br /> deep, two-story addition with a shed roof extends across the full length of the back of the house. It has one window on each <br /> floor of the north (left side) elevation, and three varied windows on its south (right side)elevation. Its south elevation also <br /> contains a shallow entry vestibule with a shed roof, single-leaf door facing the street, and sliding glass door leading to a raised <br /> wood deck. A gabled dormer is just visible on the back slope of the main roof. <br /> Constructed of concrete block, the garage has two individual vehicle bays and a high hip roof. One 1/1 window is centered on <br /> each side wall. <br /> The architectural integrity of 81-83 Bow Street has suffered from the loss of original siding and trim, but remains an ambitious <br /> example of early 201h century suburban housing in Lexington. The house is notable for its large size and scale, ample roof, <br /> multiple dormers, two-story bay window and integral entry vestibule, and original or early garage. <br /> HISTORICAL NARRATIVE <br /> Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local(or state)history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the <br /> owners/occupants played within the community. <br /> The neighborhood centered around Bow Street and Hillcrest, Cliffe, and Rindge avenues covers a steep hillside between <br /> Massachusetts Avenue and Lowell Street along the Arlington town line. The Great Meadows and Arlington Reservoir are <br /> located to the west and east, respectively. By 1898, a very short stub of road between Mass. Avenue and the B&M Railroad <br /> tracks is labeled Bow Street. North of the tracks, it continues as a pathway to a farmhouse identified as J. A. Wilson. The 1899 <br /> directory identifies a James Wilson, farmer and market gardener, with a house off Bow, and a James A. Wilson, market <br /> gardener, with a house on Bow. The land remained undeveloped as part of the Wilson Farm until at least 1906. <br /> Most of the streets here were laid out and platted for house lots by 1927; development most likely began after 1918. <br /> Development slowly crept up the hillside through the early and mid 201h century, most densely along the grid of streets closest to <br /> Massachusetts Avenue. The Wilson farm remained in existence east of Bow Street (in the area now traversed by South Rindge <br /> Continuation sheet 2 <br />